Table of contents
Green Jewelry – The Pros of Using Natural and Organic Materials
Jewelry has long been prized for its natural beauty, but in recent years there has been a renewed appreciation for green jewelry made with an increasing range of sustainable, natural and organic materials. More designers and consumers are recognizing that the green approach to jewelry-making is kinder to both the environment and to their own health. Here are some of advantages of using natural and organic materials in jewelry.
1. Materials are farmed or sourced in an ethically responsible manner
- Ethical farming practices and fair labor wages are more often used in the production of natural and organic materials.
- Manufacturers of natural materials are more likely to source from local and regional sources.
- These materials are usually sourced using sustainable methods.
2. Materials are often safer for the wearer
- Low or no toxin levels – many natural and organic materials contain either very low levels of toxins or have little to no toxins.
- Little to no off-gassing – this means that the jewelry pieces made with natural and organic materials won’t release any hazardous chemicals into the air.
- Hypoallergenic – some natural and organic materials are naturally hypoallergenic, so those with skin allergies or sensitivities can still wear these types of jewelry.
3. Reducing energy consumption
An enormous amount of energy is required to mine and process precious metals. Natural and organic materials can help reduce the amount of energy used as these materials don’t require extensive processing. Bamboo and plants-based plastics, for example, require very little energy in their production.
4. Prolonged product life
Investing in higher quality materials means that jewelry pieces can last longer. Natural and organic materials will also not corrode, rust or tarnish like some of their metal counterparts. This essentially gives them a longer life cycle, making them more cost-effective investments in the long run.
5. Increased sustainability
Using natural and organic materials helps to reduce the impact of mining precious metals and stones from the earth. Materials like bamboo, deadwood, and plant-based plastics can be farmed in an environmentally friendly and properly managed manner, encouraging sustainable practices. In addition, using these materials can help conserve the world’s resources for future generations.
Green jewelry is not only better for the environment, but is also a safer and more sustainable option for jewelry-wearers. Investing in jewelry made with natural and organic materials ensures that you will have a piece that lasts for years to come. Whether you’re looking for engagement rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets or any other type of jewelry, opt for natural and organic materials, and you won’t be disappointed.