Table of contents
Repurposing and Upcycling Old Jewelry for New Uses and Higher Value
Finding ways to repurpose and upcycle your old jewelry is a great way to reduce your impact on the environment and get creative with what you already have. Upcycling your jewelry can also help you create items of greater or different value from the original item, or simply give your old jewelry a new life. Here are some creative and cost-effective ways to repurpose your wears and create something completely new.
Restyling Your Worn-Out Jewelry
If you have a treasured piece of jewelry but it is looking tired and worn out, you can restore and restyle it with a few simple techniques.
- Polish – Many stores offer inexpensive polishing cloths or kits, which will help bring your jewelry to a gleaming shine. Be sure to use a cloth that is specifically made for your type of material (grand, silver, etc.) and read the instructions carefully so you don’t damage it.
- Re-stringing – For necklaces, bracelets and anklets, you can easily have them re-strung with a new clasp, adding a fresh look and extending the life of the piece.
- Change the Stone – If the stones in your jewelry have a worn or faded look, you can always switch them out for a fresh new cut or shape of the same stone.
- Change the Setting – If you have the same type of jewelry but with different settings, you can combine the two to create one new piece of jewelry in an entirely new style.
Re-purposing Your Old Jewelry
If your jewelry has seen better days and is beyond repair, consider giving it a new purpose in life.
- Use for Home Decor – There are many uses for old jewelry in the home, from creating whimsical living room features or wall art with broken charms, to turning your old trinkets into custom door knobs or twinkle lamps.
- Create Keepsakes – Add a personal touch to pillows, cushion covers and throws, by fiber gluing your jewelry onto the material of your choice. You could also make your own earrings and necklaces, or create monograms and other fun jewelry pieces for your friends and family.
- Make DIY Crafts – Don’t have enough jewelry to make a garment? Gather together all of your abandoned jewelry items and give them a second life by turning them into covetable DIY crafts. Think of jewelry-infused candle holders or consider turning your old pieces into statement art.
- Donate – You can even donate your old jewelry to charitable causes, such as schools and charities for women in need.
Upcycling Your Jewelry
Upcycling is the process of taking something that has been discarded or used up and creating something of higher value than the original. Upcycling your jewelry can be a great way to add value to your jewelry by re-imagining it in a completely new way.
- Re-design – Re-designing your jewelry doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive. All you need is a little imagination and some basic tools. For example, you could turn gold earrings into a set of beautiful hair accessories, or transform a single charm bracelet into several different bangles.
- Re-using – Re-using jewelry is a great way to get more bang for your buck. For instance, you could take a necklace and reshape it into a new bracelet or pendant.
- Restoring – Restoring an old piece of jewelry can be a great way to bring a unique and authentic charm to it. For instance, you could replace missing stones, add or replace chains, or repurpose elements from other pieces to create one-of-a-kind pieces.
When it comes to repurposing and upcycling your jewelry, there are plenty of creative and cost-effective ways to get creative with what you already have. Don’t be afraid to experiment and explore, and use the tips above to repurpose and upcycle your old jewelry and turn it into something new and exciting.